Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Day one of the RNC

In case anyone is interested in a real-life report from the trenches, I thought I'd let you know how things are going here in NYC. I promise to keep this non-partisan and factual. No, really.

Well, I didn't make it in on Sunday for the big protest, so I don't have any info to share with you there. Today's commute into the city was quite good, actually. Instead of my usual parking spot 3/10's of a mile away from the station, I got a spot in the lot about 1/8 of a mile away. If only every day could be like this! A lot of people decided to take this week off, so the train was incredibly empty. Again, another beautiful thing. I didn't spot one single police officer on the train on the way in, though there were many on the platforms at Jamaica station (which is a major transfer point) and at stations closer to Manhattan. The train was 13 minutes late, but that happens every once in a while, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Penn Station was quite a different matter altogether. Wall-to-wall police officers. Probably as many officers as commuters. I have never seen anything quite like it before, even after 9/11. Oddly enough, not one stopped me, even though I had a large black backpack on. I guess I didn't fit the profile of a troublemaker. Ha! Little do they know.

I took a detour down to see the "Unfiltered" talk radio show, which was broadcasting live from Porter's restaurant on 7th Avenue and 23rd street, just south of the zone the police have blocked off. For those who don't know, Chuck D, one of the show's hosts, is a former client. I didn't stay long enough to say hello, but I'll probably stop by again this week.

Heading uptown to work (I work at 53rd and Broadway) was a breeze. Subway was quick. When I got out I had to walk a few blocks to my office and there were cops on every corner. Curbside parking was not allowed on most streets. I also walked out at lunch time, down to Times Square, and saw another incredible number of officers there. Walking through Times Square was a relative breeze also, which is unheard of.

And the commute home was uneventful and on-time.

Tomorrow I think I'll survey the area around Madison Square Garden, where the convention is being held, and see if I can snap some interesting photos. And if I can figure out how to post them online, I'll do so.

So far, the protests have been very peaceful and orderly.

Well, off to listen to John McCain speak.

No comments: