Saturday, August 28, 2004

RNC Preview on the LIRR?

I'm hoping my travels this week on the LIRR are no indication of what's to come next week when the Republican National Convention begins. I've had one train that just didn't show up, and 2 that were late, including my train home tonight that was 15 minutes late, for reasons unbeknownst to me. That's usually performance I expect in the winter from the good folks at the LIRR, not in 70 degree weather in late August. I don't hold much hope for my commute next week. Adding to my aggravation was the fact that I lost my unlimited Metrocard. Fortunately there are only 2 more commuting days this month, so I won't be out much money there.

I suppose there was one good sign, which was that the train, and Penn Station as well, were surprisingly empty. I was even able to get a parking spot in the lot close to the station today, something that just doesn't happen.

I am prepared for the Republicans, though. Got my anti-Bush buttons ready for action. I'm hoping that whatever protests are planned will be peaceful, but a good bit of raucus protest is good for the soul, so I'm sure there'll be enough to keep us New Yorkers satisfied.

No comments: